Last weekend was an interesting one for me. My friend Matt and I got together and shot a commercial together. It was for my level 2,000 class at University of Miami. From my school, I borrowed $6,000 worth of equipment. It was exciting.
I had with me:
– 4 tungsten lights: Two tweenies and two juniors.
– 4 scrims (filters that block light): One half double, one half single, one double and one single (Single coated scrims are
green, and double coated are red).
– 4 barn doors (These control the extra light spill from the lights and concentrate the light.)
– 4 light stands with baby pin heads.
– One Century Stand with a lollypop (circular locking device) and a gobo arm (extension arm to hold cloths and
– One Canon 5D Mark III
I ended up using:
-1 Tungsten tweenie
-One single scrim, one double scrim and one half single scrim
-One natural, incandescent light from within the house
-One 5D Mark III
-My personal 50mm Nikkor lens from the 1970’s
Lighting Process, Setting Up and Shooting
We started lighting the room at around 8:30. It took us 30 minutes to get the look we wanted. From there, I took another 20 minutes trying to use a wheelchair as a dolly; it was highly recommended by my teacher. That’s never happening again.
The shoot lasted about four hours; we were done at 1:30 am. From there, I edited for an hour and thirty minutes and was done at 3:00 am. I was in bed by 3:30 am. It was a long night.
The Final Product
After rigorously shooting and editing, here was our final product.
There’s also a blooper reel.
Thanks for reading!